Hunt for Terror Cell in UK - Bomb Expert At Large?
Impacting Tourism & Retail
HUNT FOR TERROR CELL - Bomb expert at large?
Manchester manhunt - 3 arrested just streets from
terrorist Salman Abedi home Witnesses reveal 'only bomber's legs were left'
Theresa May raised the UK threat level to "critical" for the first time in 10
years with up to 3,800 soldiers on the streets because another terror attack
could be "imminent" following the atrocity by the Brit-born suicide bomber.
Police have arrested another three men in connection with Monday's terrorism
attack in Manchester amid fears there may be an explosives expert still
at large in Britain who supplied the nail bomb that
left 22 people dead. British intelligence services fear the expert could have
more devices - and suicide bombers - in preparation.
The killer is
suspected of receiving terror training in Syria, where he may have visited
secretly while seeing family in Libya, The Sun can reveal. "All of a sudden he
travelled to Libya and then most likely to Syria, became radicalised and decided
to commit this attack."
The military will be providing armed guards for key locations across London
including Buckingham Palace, Downing Street, the Palace of Westminster and
embassies, Scotland Yard said.
The Met has said they have "increased police
numbers and operations across the capital with immediate affect".
public will see more armed officers, working alongside their neighbourhood and
specialist colleagues on proactive operations and targeted patrols, both on foot
and in vehicles."
Parliament will close to the public with immediate
effect due to the increased security threat. Public galleries at the Old Bailey
have also been shut.
The Changing The Guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace
has been cancelled on Wednesday to redeploy police officers in the wake of the
Chelsea have cancelled their title parade, scheduled for this
Sunday, due to security concerns.
Britain on high alert:
Soldiers and armed police on guard across the UK as terror threat rises to
is on high alert as soldiers and armed police have been sent out to guard city
centres and tourist hot spots after the Manchester terror attack. Prime Minister
Theresa May announced late on Tuesday the threat had been raised to its highest
possible level, meaning an attack may be imminent. The military will be
providing armed guards for key locations across London including Buckingham
Palace, Downing Street, the Palace of Westminster and embassies, Scotland Yard
said. Sporting venues and concert arenas will also get heightened security.
The UK's interior minister said up to 3,800 soldiers will be deployed across
the country in the coming days, following the suicide bombing in Manchester
which killed 22 people on Monday night. Met Police also said this morning it had
increased its numbers and operations across the country with "immediate affect".
The force said specialist police officers trained to spot "tell tale signs" of
hostile plots will be "highly visible" to the public.
UK terror threat raised to
critical: here's what it means
Brought in by security chiefs in August 2006, the warning system was part of
Britain's new counter-terrorism strategy. It came a year after the July 7
bombings, in which 52 people were killed and more than 700 injured in
coordinated bomb blasts on the Tube and a bus in London. When they were first
published on August 1 2006 the threat stood at severe - the second highest
Operation "Temperer" in the
This means some armed police officers guarding
events will be replaced by soldiers in an operation codenamed Temperer. It is
the first time that the operation, which was first revealed in 2015, has been
put into effect. The plan is believed to allow up to 3,800 troops to be deployed
in support of the police, replacing armed officers at many sites to free them up
for patrols in key areas.
An Isis-related website claimed the attacker
was "a caliphate soldier" who had killed "crusaders", although it remains
unclear what links if any Abedi had to the terror group. Media reports on
Wednesday sad he had just returned from the north African country, Libya.
Arndale Center Mall evacuated amid Bomb fears; man arrested after suspicious
package found hours after deadly concert bombing
PPolice ordered the emergency evacuation of a huge shopping mall in Manchester,
England, on Tuesday, hours after a deadly suicide bombing killed 22 people at a
pop concert in the city the night before. Video filmed on cellphones and posted
to social media showed panicked shoppers fleeing the Arndale shopping mall.
Armed police and sniffer dogs were seen entering the site at around midday.
Media reported that a man was arrested and a suspicious package was found in the
food court of the complex.
Impact on UK's Retail Sector
"imminent attack" expected and 5,000 troops sent to Britain's streets the retail
industry will be severely impacted for the next week. With some probably not
even opening today in Manchester. No reports available so far as to any store or
New terror attack hits
Europe. Will tourists keep coming?
Europe has been
hit by another deadly terrorist attack that could prompt tourists to rethink
plans to visit the region.
"This kind of incident has a big emotional
impact on people, making [them] feel that the world is more dangerous and not as
welcoming," said Patrick Surry, chief data scientist at travel firm Hopper.
Would-be tourists may be "seeing this as part of a pattern of bad stuff in
Europe and thinking 'we shouldn't go to Europe'," he said.
Manchester bombing followed a
high profile attack in London in March when four people died after a man
rammed a car onto a busy sidewalk near the houses of parliament.
in cities such as Berlin, Brussels, Paris and Nice within the last two years
have already made some people wary about traveling in Europe.
say the Manchester attack won't prevent
tourism in the U.K. from continuing to grow this year, but it may
slow the rate of expansion.
In the wake of Monday's bombing,
Euromonitor downgraded its forecast for growth in visitor numbers to 4.9% from
5.1%. That means it expects roughly 100,000 fewer people to visit the U.K. this
year than might otherwise have done so.
The U.S. State Department issued
travel alert for Americans visiting Europe earlier this month, citing the
continued threat of attacks, particularly in tourist hot spots.
this second attack on U.K. soil in three months will raise anxiety among some
"Even if there's a small shift in behavior over the long term,
it will really add up to a significant financial impact,"
Psychologists warn bombing could have 'catastrophic impact' on young people
Clinical psychologist Rob Gordon said, it's important for adults to help
children "accept the reality that the world is not as safe as it used to be".
We've got to really also put it in context - the most dangerous thing that
children do is get in the car and go to school," he said.
Dr Gordon said
his advice for parents and teachers was to be on the lookout for signs of
distress in young people who have encountered trauma.
withdrawing from friends and activities, feeling sick or lashing out.
However, he said the most important thing adults could do was to just talk to
children - and start by asking them what they were thinking.
"Give them a
chance to talk, give their opinions to discuss it," he said.
have to come up with answers, you don't have to change the world - but if they
know that you're talking with them, they won't feel alone."
Editor's Note: This applies to children in North America as well, as
they learn about it at school, TV, or on the internet. These incidents are
making an impact on children across the world. abc.net.au
Blondie, More Musicians
Cancel U.K. Concerts After Manchester Attack
How America is Preparing
For a Soft Target Terror Attack
See Something, Say Something!!
U.S. Law Enforcement
Officers on heighten alert