May 17, 2013
1. Toronto 11 Division to launch “Wanted Ones” on Facebook
2. Couple sought in $7000 rug theft.
3. Police chase down shoplifter fleeing Walmart in St.
Catherines with $800 of merchandise.
4. Shoppers store in Kimberley hit for $1000 in Visa Gift
cards purchased with a stolen credit card.
May 10, 2013
1. Accepting Nominations for the Canadian Security
Directory of the Year Award
2. Canadian Tire celebrates soaring share prices; highest
3. RCMP discovers $30,000 of stolen cargo in Spallumcheen,
4. York Police bust an Organized Retail Crime ring focused
on shoes and clothing; 7 people arrested, $80,000 in merchandise
May 3, 2013
1. Loblaw CEO troubled by "deafening silence" from other
apparel retailers that use Bangladeshi garment factory that
2. Loblaw vows to compensate families after Bangladesh
3. For supplier audits, Loblaw will now consider building
4. Retail Council of Canada (RCC) and its members offer
their sincere condolences to the victims and their families in
5. Bank of Canada unveiling new $5 and $10 polymer
6. Canada’s e-commerce managers not feeling executive love
- Does anyone know the term Omni-Channel up north?
7. Indigo named top Canadian retail employer brand by
workers and job seekers
8. “The Impact of Walmart Supercentre Conversion on
Consumer Shopping Behaviours,“ - Here's the results
9. Midtown Toronto Jewelry store robbed Monday morning.
1. Canadian e-retailers falling short of customer
expectations & "Canadian retailers should be shaking in their
boots," a Forrester analyst says.
2. One U.S. retailer levels the shopping field for
Canadian customers and guarantees prices match U.S.
3. Quick Responses by Security Professionals Praised by
Canadian at Bomb Site
4. Joe Fresh items made in Bangladesh factory that
collapsed, killing more than 300
5. Gang-related hits occurring throughout Metro Vancouver
in recent months with one man shot dead at Morgan Crossing Mall
6. Four face charges of Cargo theft in Mississauga; $2
Million dollars of merchandise recovered.
7. Update: Police in Edmonton release details on two
suspects in the Londonderry Mall homicide.
8. 50-Year-Old Bottle of Scotch, One of Only 50 Around the
World, Stolen- Whoever Gets to Enjoy it is a Lucky, Lucky Man!
April 19, 2013
1. Counterfeit Chainsaws being sold in Canada.
2. Busy week for Cargo thieves in Ontario.
3. Two suspects sought in distraction theft of a laptop
from Staples in Duncan.
Counterfeit Products Act will give Border Services Agency and
RCMP new enforcement tools
2. Canada has a "real and acute labor shortage in certain
sectors and regions" in the low-skill service and retail jobs
3. Canada feeling third wave of retail invasion
4. Canada's biggest Department store Hudson's Bay is doing
the same thing everyone in the States is doing -
5. There are plenty of reasons for Canada-U.S. price gap -
Best article published about the Price Gap!
6. The dollar store industry in Canada is booming too!
Dollarama posting "record results" in 4Q
7. RCMP raid an East Hamilton Flea Market: seized $100,000
of counterfeit merchandise.
8. RCMP seeing a dramatic rise in Shoplifting cases;
Merchants taking additional steps to combat the common crime.
9. Halifax man busted for 56 fraud-related charges
involving gift cards
10. ORC gang of five busted stealing thousands, operating
April 5, 2013
Toronto, OPP and
Durham Police seize $750,000 of counterfeit goods from three
2. Third suspect arrested in the $2 Million theft from the
Toronto Salvation Army.
3. Alberta Police ongoing investigation of gun theft.
4. Two Thieves pepper-spray a 74-year-old Walmart greeter
March 22, 2013
gets Metro's COO - Great news for Rona
2. Target's first three stores have been consistently
"slammed" with customers
3. Canadian Tire to roll-out 5,000 tablet devices for
customers to research products in store
4. Holt Renfrew, Canada's high-end department store, to
open their first "hr2" store - a new lower-priced 30,000 square
foot banner at Montreal's Quartier Dix/30 mega-mall
5. Sobeys grocery stores warehouse workers end 29-day
6. Five from Montreal charged with fraud hitting retailers
in Newfoundland including Shoppers Drugmart, Sobey's and
7. Video of security guards accused of excessive force at
Chinook Center probed
8. Police called to West Edmonton Mall; possible man with
gun at 2 am this morning.
9. Brazen thief steals a countertop spinner display from a
mall jeweler in British Columbia.
March 15, 2013
Can Canada's Joe
Fresh revive a sagging U.S. retail giant? J.C. Penney is
counting on it, with 700 opening soon!
2. Canadian Security Magazine's "Focus on Security Series"
March 27th focuses on Retail - Sheraton Parkway, Richmond Hill,
3. Canadians lack cyber security skills
4. Canada's new Combating Counterfeit Products Act gains
5. Counterfeit stamps cost Canada Post millions a year,
6. YouTube video “how to blowtorch an ATM open” key in
arresting 4 in Toronto suspected in $1.1 Million in ATM thefts.
7. Toronto Organized Crime Ring busted; 3 suspects facing
8. New citizen’s arrest powers come into effect thanks to
9. New Westminster burglar caught in a pipe attempting
March 8, 2013
launch expected to spark price wars
2. Union claims Target Canada engaged in unfair hiring
3. U.S. womenswear retailer Chico’s to expand into Canada
beginning late 2013
4. The Bay department store rebranded as Hudson's Bay -
good timing all things considered
5. One merely needs to look at Yorkdale Mall in Toronto to
see the Canadian Push with 12 new retailers opening from the
U.S. & UK
6. Thieves armed with bear spray rob Vancouver Apple Store
7. Tractor-trailers containing $100,000 worth of frozen
chickens stolen in Etobicoke
8. Canadians browse and buy more online than any developed
nation in 2012
March 1, 2013
Saskatchewan launch Fraud Awareness month.
2. CCTV and Police body cameras are a focus of Law
Enforcement in Canada.
3. Police believe Gypsy shoplifting gang is hitting
retailers from the North Shore, Laval, West Island to Montreal.
4. Coquitlam Mounties charge a man of over a dozen
retail sales post biggest drop in two years - not a good time
for a major roll-out
2. All Out Retail war predicted when Target invades Canada
3. Canada loses 3 senior Loss Prevention positions
4. Two ORC gangs reported this week in Canada - maybe
Canada's journalists will start reporting on it now
5. Rona Job Cuts: 200 to be laid off as company mulls
6. Don’t refuse our pennies, Canadians tell retailers
Toronto Police Service:
February 1, 2013
Sears lays off 700
in Canadian stores under the banner of "Right-Sizing"
2. Best Buy closed 7 namesake stores and 8 Future Shop
stores in Canada
3. Four men work as a team to hit West 49 for $15,500 in
watches in Oshawa.
4. Thief targets Costco customers purchasing bulk
5. RCMP makes four arrests in Richmond store break-ins.
January 25, 2013
Canada is getting
tougher on employees engaged in workplace violence with Bill 168
2. Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, shoplifters face
new united front because thieves increasingly
3. Barrie Police officer faces charges for beating a suspect
for breaking a mall Christmas ornament at
the Bayfield Mall.
4. Walmart to pump $453 million into upgrading Canadian
5. Pricey Chinese herbs a target of thieves; RCMP working
with store owners to solve the case.
6. Canada Post employee charged with the theft of $30,000
7. 'All in the Family" ORC? - Ottawa grandmother and
grandson busted hitting stores
8. Target's boldest project in its 50-year history -
becoming a global retail force and opening the first of
its 124 stores in Canada in March
January 22, 2013
Toronto Police need
help identifying the owners of $150,000 in merchandise
January 18, 2013
Canada lags behind
the US in December retail sales.
2. Despite demise of HMV in Britain, the retailer is still
strong in Canada.
3. Two suspects arrested in connection to December Jewelry
theft in Cochrane.
January 11, 2013
Online credit card
fraud soaring in Canada
2. Canada is eliminating the penny
3. New Saskatchewan laws to help protect late night workers
4. Are Sears Canada’s days numbered? Poor results could
have U.S. retailers circling
5. Destination Maternity opens its first Canadian store
6. Toronto shoplifter who shot at a loss prevention
associate gets nine years in prison
back to top
LP Show Coverage
The Top 10